Tuesday 12 July 2011

Bauhaus Archive




We visited the Bauhaus Archive during our trip to Berlin. I was particularly interested because the Bauhaus and its designers have always inspired me, I love their minimalist approach and their use of geometric shapes. It is also a main aspect of my Dissertation this year so I was very intrigued to see what the museum was about and which of the works it would display. I wanted to get some first hand responses for my essay and maybe even an interview with someone who worked there.
The museum showed an overview of the work created during the Bauhaus time (1919-1933) including architecture, graphics, drawings, furniture design etc it was a very small museum consisting of only one room and a shop, It wasn’t what I was expecting. The others found it inspiring, but because I had such high expectations I felt disappointed. The work in there was great, and it was good to see the originals rather than in a book or on a computer screen. I just felt like I wanted to see more! 
The archive was very tricky to find, there were no clear directional signs and it wasn’t even noted on the map. I found it hard to see why it wasn’t celebrated more, The Bauhaus was a massive movement for Design and architecture but I felt like it wasn’t important anymore, as if the Germans were covering it up. I had high expectations for the Bauhaus archive and considering how much it inspires me as a Designer I was disappointed with how unimportant it seemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment