Friday 15 July 2011

Type Matters!




I turned up for my regular feed back session with John and ended up being taken to a lecture with the MA students about Typography! Loved the spontaneity! 

Jim Williams, a Graphic Design Lecturer at Staffordshire University who has achieved recognition in a number of national and international award schemes, was taking the talk. This was the first lecture I’d had on type, considering I was looking at typefaces at the time for my final project, it was essential that I learnt the basics! This lecture seemed to come at the most appropriate time for me! 

His book ‘Type Matters’ gives simple tips on how to keep your type in order. Although the rules of typography are so obvious to me now, before Jim pointed them out, I wouldn’t have noticed these minor yet so important mistakes! So inspired by these rules I requested a £5 copy from Staffordshire University, currently waiting for it to arrive in the post but I think this book is a must have for every Designer! This clarity of typography must carry on, and to do so, knowledge needs to be passed on to up and coming designers. I think Jim is doing a brilliant job!

After the lecture I felt refreshed, typography has always been a fear of mine, this term has helped me to build confidence and the lecture was like the icing on the cake! Looking back over some second year work I have noticed some of these mistakes that I have now corrected, I have been passing on some tips to fellow students who weren’t lucky enough to attend the lecture. Simple tips, but essential ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment