Friday 15 July 2011

Craig Oldham Lecture

12in12 by Craig Oldham
Taking my time to look through this
now that I have finished Uni!


I remembered Craig from the Dragons Dens experience in the second year! It took me back to how daunted we as a group were when presenting, making me realise how much my confidence has grown over this year.  He gave our group some great feed back and I was looking forward to his lecture which he described as ‘A big fucking jumble sale of nonsense’ 

Much like Russell Hopkin’s lecture, it was energetic and fun and about us, and ways to succeed when we finish university, not about him and his work. He gave us some great tips about how to act in industry, these I did learn when I was on my placement, making cups of tea, getting to know the people around you and taking an interest. Very basic people skills, but essential! 

He spoke about two different types of designers - ‘Bunch A’ were the logical designers who depend on grids and content and ‘Bunch B’ were emotional designers who are more expressive with their designs. I believe that I am in Bunch B! I am a very expressive and playful designer and look to my feelings a lot of the time, when showing the video of Stefan Sagmeister this confirmed it to me! I want to design expressively in my job, this is what I enjoy and it’s where my strengths lie! 

At the beginning of this lecture it hit me that I’m actually leaving university! I felt daunted and worried! However, I left the lecture feeling ready for the real world and excited for the future! Craig really did inspire me, and made me see that being a good hardworking person will go a long way. There is a lot more to learn about Graphic Design, but as long as I am willing to learn and am not afraid to admit to my weaknesses I will get there! 

If you're wanting to read into Craig's 12in12 follow this link! I'm finding it very helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment